Configure the view health
Reacting to each event in an environment can cause a lot of noise. This may be both undesirable and unnecessary. For example, if one or multiple components have an impact on a service, it can be sufficient to report on changes to the problem itself and not each related state change.
StackState can reduce this noise by looking at the overall health state of a view rather than that of individual elements. The view health state is determined by the combined health of its elements. When a view changes its health state, a view state change event is triggered and that can in turn trigger an event notification or automated action.
Views list with view health state
View health state is calculated by a view state configuration function. To configure a view to report its health state:
- 1.In the StackState UI, click Views from the main menu.
- 2.Click the pencil icon next to a view name to edit the view.
- 3.Set View Health State Enabled to On.
- 4.Select a Configuration function to use to calculate the view health.
- 5.Provide any required arguments. These will vary according to the view health state configuration function selected. For example, for the default MINIMUM HEALTH STATES configuration function:
- minCriticalHealthStates - Set to at least 1. This is the number of CRITICAL (red) health states required for the view to report a CRITICAL health state.
- minDeviatingHealthStates - Set to at least 1. This is the number of DEVIATING (orange) health states required for the view to report a
- 6.Click UPDATE to save the new configuration to the view.
- The view health will update immediately.
Edit query view
The MINIMUM HEALTH STATES view health state configuration function calculates the health state of the view as follows:
- The view has a
CRITICALhealth state when more than the minCriticalHealthStates components inside the view have a
CRITICALhealth state. This does not count propagated health states.
- The view has a
DEVIATINGhealth state When more than the minDeviatingHealthStates components inside the view have a
DEVIATINGhealth state. This does not count propagated health states.
- In all other situations, the view has a