Add a telemetry stream
StackState Self-hosted v5.0.x
This page describes StackState version 5.0.
Elements in StackState can have a telemetry (metrics or log) stream assigned. This provides additional insight into your topology and is required, for example, to monitor the health of an element. If a telemetry stream was not automatically been assigned to an element or you want to add a custom telemetry stream, you can do this manually from the StackState UI.
Telemetry streams can be added to any element in the StackState Topology Perspective.
Add a telemetry stream to an element
- 1.Select the element that you want to add a telemetry stream to. Detailed information about the element
- Detailed information about the element will be displayed in the right panel Selection details tab.
- 2.Click ADD NEW STREAM under Telemetry in the right panel Selection details tab.
- 3.Provide the following details:
- Name - A name for the telemetry stream. This will be visible in the StackState UI.
- Data source - The data source for the telemetry stream. You can select from the standard data sources or add your own in Settings > Telemetry Sources.
- 4.Click NEXT
- 5.At the top of the Add a new stream popup, select whether to output the telemetry stream as a Metric stream or a Log stream:
- Metric stream (default) - use for metrics. Allows for various aggregation methods and will be visualized as a timeseries line chart.
- Log stream - use for streams that contain logs and events. Will be visualized as a bar chart.
- 6.Provide the following details:
- Time window - The selection of time to be shown in the StackState UI. The time window is used for display purposes only and does not affect handling in any way.
- Filters - Select the data relevant to the element. For example, if the data source contains data about all services on a host, select the specific host and service to attach data for.
- Select - select the metric you want to retrieve and the function to apply to it.
- Priority - Optional, you can set a priority for the telemetry stream. This will influence the order in which the stream is displayed in the StackState UI and the way the stream is handled by other services, such as the Autonomous Anomaly Detector.
- 7.The stream preview on the right will update to show the incoming metric values based on the details you provide.
- 8.Click SAVE to add the stream to the element.
- You will receive a notification that the stream has been successfully completed.
- 9.A graph of the selected telemetry stream data will be visible under Telemetry in the right panel Selection details tab. You can inspect data in the stream using the telemetry inspector.
The following aggregation methods are available:
PERCENTILE_25- 25 percentile
PERCENTILE_50- 50 percentile
PERCENTILE_75- 75 percentile
PERCENTILE_90- 90 percentile
PERCENTILE_95- 95 percentile
PERCENTILE_98- 98 percentile
PERCENTILE_99- 99 percentile
EVENT_COUNT- the number of occurrences during bucket interval
SUM_NO_ZEROS- sum of the values (missing values from a data source won't be filled with zeros)
EVENT_COUNT_NO_ZEROS- the number of occurrences during bucket interval (missing values from a data source won't be filled with zeros)