Comment on page
Add a telemetry stream
Add incoming telemetry (metrics and logs) data to an element.
This page describes StackState version 4.3.
The StackState 4.3 version range is End of Life (EOL) and no longer supported. We encourage customers still running the 4.3 version range to upgrade to a more recent release.
Elements in StackState can have a telemetry (metrics or log) stream assigned. This provides additional insight into your topology and is required, for example, to monitor the health of an element. If a telemetry stream was not automatically been assigned to an element or you want to add a custom telemetry stream, you can do this manually from the StackState UI.
Telemetry streams can be added to any element in the StackState Topology Perspective.
Add a telemetry stream to an element
- 1.Select the element that you want to add a telemetry stream to.
- 2.Click + ADD next to Telemetry streams on the right of the screen.
- 3.Provide the following details:
- Name - A name for the telemetry stream. This will be visible in the StackState UI.
- Data source - The data source for the telemetry stream. You can select from the standard data sources or add your own in Settings > Telemetry Sources.
- 4.Click NEXT
- 5.At the top of the Add a new stream popup, select whether to output the telemetry stream as a Metric stream or a Log stream:
- Metric stream (default) - use for metrics. Allows for various aggregation methods and will be visualized as a timeseries line chart.
- Log stream - use for streams that contain logs and events. Will be visualized as a bar chart.
- 6.Provide the following details:
- Time window - The selection of time to be shown in the StackState UI. The time window is used for display purposes only and does not affect handling in any way.
- Filters - Select the data relevant to the element. For example, if the data source contains data about all services on a host, select the specific host and service to attach data for.
- Select - select the metric you want to retrieve and the function to apply to it.
- 7.The stream preview on the right will update to show the incoming metric values based on the details you provide.
- 8.Click SAVE to add the stream to the element.
- You will receive a notification that the stream has been successfully completed.