StackState core integration
The ServiceNow StackPack allows near real time synchronization between ServiceNow and StackState. When the ServiceNow Agent integration is enabled, configuration items (CIs) and their dependencies from the ServiceNow CMDB will be added to the StackState topology as components and relations. ServiceNow change request events are also retrieved.
- CIs and dependencies for the configured CI types are retrieved from the ServiceNow CMDB (default all). Change request events are retrieved in the same run.
- StackState translates incoming CIs and dependencies into topology components and relations.
- Retrieved change requests are attached to the associated elements and listed in the StackState Events Perspective.
To set up the StackState ServiceNow integration, you need to have:
Install the ServiceNow StackPack from the StackState UI StackPacks > Integrations screen. You will need to provide the following parameters:
- ServiceNow Instance URL: The ServiceNow instance URL from which topology data will be collected.
- ServiceNow Instance Name: the user-defined name of the ServiceNow account shown in configurations such as views.
To enable the ServiceNow check and begin collecting data from ServiceNow, add the following configuration to StackState Agent V2:
- 1.Edit the Agent integration configuration file
/etc/stackstate-agent/conf.d/servicenow.d/conf.yamlto include details of your ServiceNow instance:
- url - the REST API URL, uses HTTPS protocol for communication.
- password - use secrets management to store passwords outside of the configuration file.init_config:# Any global configurable parameters should be added heredefault_timeout: 10min_collection_interval: 5instances:- url: "https://<instance_ID>.service-now.com"user: <instance_username>password: <instance_password># batch_size: 1000# change_request_bootstrap_days: 10# change_request_process_limit: 1000# timeout: 20# verify_https: true# cert: /path/to/cert.pem# keyfile: /path/to/key.pem
- 2.You can also add optional configuration and filters:
- batch_size - the maximum number of records to be returned (default
- change_request_bootstrap_days - On first start, all change requests that have been updated in last N days will be retrieved (default
- change_request_process_limit - The maximum number of change requests that should be processed (default
- timeout - Timeout for requests to the ServiceNow API in seconds (default
- verify_https - Verify the certificate when using https (default
- cert - Path to the certificate file for https verification.
- keyfile - Path to the public key of certificate for https verification.
- 4.Once the Agent has restarted, wait for the Agent to collect data from ServiceNow and send it to StackState.
- 2.Edit the Agent integration configuration file
- 3.Uncomment the CI type or event that you would like to add a filter to:
cmdb_ci_sysparm_query- ServiceNow CMDB Configuration Items query.
cmdb_rel_ci_sysparm_query- ServiceNow CMDB Configuration Items Relations query.
change_request_sysparm_query- ServiceNow Change Request query.
custom_cmdb_ci_field- ServiceNow CMDB Configuration Item custom field mapping.
- 4.Add the filter you copied from ServiceNow. For example...instances:- url: "https://<instance_ID>.service-now.com"user: <instance_username>password: <instance_password># ServiceNow CMDB Configuration Items query. There is no default value.# cmdb_ci_sysparm_query: company.nameSTARTSWITHstackstate# ServiceNow CMDB Configuration Items Relations query. There is no default value.# cmdb_rel_ci_sysparm_query: parent.company.nameSTARTSWITHstackstate^ORchild.company.nameSTARTSWITHstackstate# ServiceNow Change Request query. There is no default value.# change_request_sysparm_query: company.nameSTARTSWITHstackstate# ServiceNow CMDB Configuration Item custom field mapping. The default value is cmdb_ci.# custom_cmdb_ci_field: u_configuration_item...
By default, all available ServiceNow CI types will be sent to StackState. If you prefer to work with a specific set of resource types, you can configure the Agent integration to filter the CI types it retrieves:
- 1.Edit the Agent integration configuration file
- A subset of the available CI types is listed and commented out.
- 2.Uncomment the line
include_resource_typesand the CI types you would like to send to StackState. You can add any valid ServiceNow CI type to the include_resource_types list, however, components from resource types that you have added will appear on the Uncategorized layer of a StackState view.instances:- url: "https://<instance_ID>.service-now.com"user: <instance_username>password: <instance_password>batch_size: 100# include_resource_types: # optional and by default includes all resource types(sys Class Names)# - cmdb_ci_netgear# - cmdb_ci_ip_router# - cmdb_ci_aix_server# - cmdb_ci_storage_switch# - cmdb_ci_win_cluster# - cmdb_ci_email_server# - cmdb_ci_web_server# - cmdb_ci_app_server# - cmdb_ci_printer# - cmdb_ci_cluster# - cmdb_ci_cluster_node# - cmdb_ci_computer# - cmdb_ci_msd# - cmdb_ci# - cmdb_ci_unix_server# - cmdb_ci_win_cluster_node# - cmdb_ci_datacenter# - cmdb_ci_linux_server# - cmdb_ci_db_ora_catalog# - cmdb_ci_win_server# - cmdb_ci_zone# - cmdb_ci_appl# - cmdb_ci_computer_room# - cmdb_ci_ip_switch# - service_offering# - cmdb_ci_disk# - cmdb_ci_peripheral# - cmdb_ci_service_group# - cmdb_ci_db_mysql_catalog# - cmdb_ci_ups# - cmdb_ci_service# - cmdb_ci_app_server_java# - cmdb_ci_spkg# - cmdb_ci_database# - cmdb_ci_rack# - cmdb_ci_server# - cmdb_ci_network_adapter
To check the status of the ServiceNow integration, run the status subcommand and look for ServiceNow under
sudo stackstate-agent status
When a new version of the ServiceNow StackPack is available in your instance of StackState, you will be prompted to upgrade in the StackState UI on the page StackPacks > Integrations > ServiceNow. For a quick overview of recent StackPack updates, check the StackPack versions shipped with each StackState release.
The ServiceNow check retrieves the following events data from ServiceNow:
The ServiceNow check does not retrieve any metrics data.
All tags defined in ServiceNow will be retrieved and added to the associated components and relations in StackState. The ServiceNow integration also understands common tags and applies these to topology in StackState.
The ServiceNow check retrieves the following topology data from the ServiceNow CMDB:
The ServiceNow check does not retrieve any traces data.
The ServiceNow user configured in StackState Agent V2 must have access to read the ServiceNow
TABLEAPI. The specific table names and endpoints used in the StackState integration are described below. All named REST API endpoints use the HTTPS protocol for communication.
When the ServiceNow integration is enabled, the following ServiceNow specific views are available in StackState:
- ServiceNow Applications
- ServiceNow Business Processes
- ServiceNow Discovered
- ServiceNow Infrastructure & Network
- ServiceNow Machines & Load balancers
To uninstall the ServiceNow StackPack and disable the ServiceNow check:
- 1.Go to the StackState UI StackPacks > Integrations > ServiceNow screen and click UNINSTALL.
- All ServiceNow specific configuration will be removed from StackState.
- 2.Remove or rename the Agent integration configuration file, for example:mv servicenow.d/conf.yaml servicenow.d/conf.yaml.bak
ServiceNow StackPack v5.3.1 (2021-04-02)
- Improvement: Common bumped from 2.2.3 to 2.5.1
- Improvement: StackState min version bumped to 4.3.0
ServiceNow StackPack v5.2.0 (2021-03-23)
- Improvement: Set
environmentcoming from ServiceNow integration.
- Improvement: Enable auto grouping on generated views.
- Improvement: Added configuration options for SSL certificate included with Agent 2.11.0 release.
ServiceNow StackPack v5.1.0 (2020-12-16)
- Feature: Documentation update for new features of Change Requests and different filters added.
ServiceNow StackPack v5.0.0 (17-11-2020)
- Feature: Introduce the Instance Name for easy filtering and use.
ServiceNow StackPack v4.0.1 (18-08-2020)
- Feature: Introduced the Release notes pop up for customer.
ServiceNow StackPack v4.0.0 (04-08-2020)
- Bugfix: Fix and make Component mapping function per instance to support multi-instance.
ServiceNow StackPack v3.1.0 (04-08-2020)
- Improvement: Deprecated stackpack specific layers and introduced a new common layer structure.
- Improvement: Addition of new views.
ServiceNow StackPack v3.0.0 (30-04-2020)
- Feature: Updated the requirement docs to use AgentV2 now.
- Feature: Updated the installation details to use the new configuration parameters.
- Feature: Replace resolveOrCreate with getOrCreate.
- Feature: Multi-instance support is available now.
ServiceNow StackPack v2.1.0 (10-04-2020)
- Improvement: Updated StackPacks integration page, categories, and icons for the SaaS trial.